Thursday, September 13, 2012 • 2:57 AM •
Dorothy and I were really excited to attend Montreal Fashion Week as official media. It was definitely a stressful week! So much planning and having posts ready by the end of the night and planning what to wear for fashion week and interviews with designers; the list goes on! By Day 4, we were pooped!
It was great that our event photographer Dru, Daura, and I were a threesome so we had each other to keep us company. But it’s so nerve-wracking because everyone wants to impress and we are no exception. Putting yourself out there and being the first to initiate contact includes being vulnerable and susceptible to rejection. No one really wants to be the first to approach, but everyone is happy to be approached. It’s a rough cycle!
As bloggers, I think we should help each other and support each other in some ways! It kind of sounds ridiculous because at the same time everyone’s in competition with each other, but think of how lonely it would be to just keep to yourself! When you’re a fashion blogger, or any kind of blogger for that matter, it can go from a fun hobby to a business, fast! When that happens, it’s hard to stop wearing your business hat by seeing every person you meet as “contact,” rather than just another potential friend. I think I’ll stick to “friending people,” even in cases when this may not be a mutual agreement. Call me naive, but I believe that if you initially treat a someone like a friend, you have the potential to grow your relationship with that person. Treat them like a contact, and that’s just what they’ll be.
It’s needless to say that being a blogger at Montreal Fashion Week is quite the experience. We’ve learned many things, including how to deal with certain situations. We’ve thus compiled a list of things that perhaps any other blogger attendees can relate to. These observations are not sugar coated – we just call it as we see it!
1. Checking everyone’s outfit out (and giving it your personal stamp of approval or just ..judging!)
Lovely and stylish ladies of The Warehouse Magazine
2. People are either wearing black and playing it safe or going all out with ridiculous (albeit still cool!) outfits. You wonder if people are just trying too hard.
3. Bloggers spot other bloggers that they recognize from online but are too shy to approach them.
We managed to suck it up and met top bloggers Patrick from Je Suis…L’Aristocrate and Anik from Montreal In Style.
4. You spot a hot guy every which way and wonder if he’s straight.
5. The media room is like heaven, especially when you have an awesome guy named Tito giving out free cappuccinos.
6. There’s like…NO food. Free alcohol – totally. Food? Not so much. Fashion diet anyone?!
We were starving the whole way through.
7. Some bloggers may look like they are tweeting during a 15-minute runway show but are just texting their friends.
8. Everyone talks about everyone’s seating arrangements and what this says about their success as a blogger in the (Montreal) fashion industry.
9. Blogger cliques travel in a packs. There are few lone wolves!
Bloggers try to look important at all times when alone. They look composed when sitting alone between shows and playing with their phone, not really socializing with anyone.
10. But when you stay cool and put yourself out there, you can meet some great and super hilarious people!
Louis from De Laine et De Satin, Nelly from Fashionaccro and Christopher of blackguyfrommontreal, you made our experience much more awesome!
Did we miss a fact about blogging at MFW? Let us know!